FAQ about Kefalonia

Here, you can find answers to the most common questions could rise when considering moving to Kefalonia island.
  • Is there water on the island?

Yes, Kefalonia has its own supply of water and it is available in the majority of areas. Fiskardo is the only village where there is no water supply network and water is brought in by carrier.

  • Can I bring my English car with me?

Yes, you can bring your English car with you; however you will have to apply for Greek number plates if you are willing to use the car for more than 6 months. All documents required fot that purpose can be found here :

There is a charge for this service, depending on the age of the car and the size of the engine.

  • Can I use my English driving license in Greece?

In Greece you can drive on your existing English license. However, there are some important differences between the English and the Greek driving rules. Before you drive, ensure you are well-informed about the Greek Highway Code, in order to avoid any unpleasant facts.

  • Can I have English T.V.?

Sky channels can be received on Kefalonia with a standard 1.2 meter dish. If you wish to have this service, Insat International can provide the digibox and card required in Europe.  

Unfortunately, BBC and ITV can only be received with a 3 metre dish, but there’s always the Internet!

  • Do I need to be able to speak Greek?

The short answer is no, the majority of people in Kefalonia have a good knowledge of English and there are many people who are willing to help if you find yourself in a little difficulty.

  • What religions are there in Greece?

There are a wide variety of religions practiced in Greece, by far the largest being the Greek Orthodox religion.

  • What hours are the shops open?

The shops are open in the morning  9.00 and will close for the afternoon around 14.00. Most shops will re-open in the evening around 18.00 – 21.00, the exceptions being Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.  

  • Is there a hospital on Kefalonia?

Kefalonia has two hospitals, one smaller in Lixouri and the General Hospital in Argostoli. The General Hospital offers a full range of services, but both hospitals offer medical care of high standard . Kefalonia also has a wide variety of specialist surgeons. In Greece, medical records are kept by the patient, not the doctor.

  • Can I buy a car in Greece?

It is not difficult to purchase a car in Greece. You will need a tax number (A.F.M.) which can be obtained at any tax office on production of your passport.

  • I wish to bring my two dogs with me. Is there a vet on the island?

Kefalonia has English speaking vets at various places on the island.

  • Can I get a job in Kefalonia?

It is possible to obtain work in Kefalonia, however, the majority of job offers are mainly available during summer, with the tourist season.  It is also possible to set up your own business here if you wish. There are many examples of successful English people living and working in Kefalonia.

  • Are there any animal Charities on the island?

Yes, Kefalonia Animal Trust is a Registered Greek Charity. No: 73221102003. Web site http://www.kefalonia-animal-trust.org

Locally known as KATS, the charity is committed to providing care to cats, dogs and other animals on the island of Kefalonia.

  • Can I fly direct to Kefalonia during winter?

Unfortunately, at the moment there are no direct flights from the UK to Kefalonia between November and April. However, the local airport serves regular flights to Athens. Alternatively, from Athens you could travel by coach from Athens bus station and take a ferry to the island. Ferries to Kefalonia sail several times a day, all year round, from Patra and Kilini port.

  • Is it possible to get married In Kefalonia?

Yes, there is a number of wedding planners and event organizers in Kefalonia, offering a wide range of services to make your wedding day a memorable experience. All you have to do is Google search‘weddings in Kefalonia’ you will find several listings full of information.

  • How do I contact emergency services in Greece?

There are several important numbers you should take note of: General Emergency 112, Police 100, Ambulance 166 and Fire 199. In case of an emergency, do not hesitate to call these numbers, emergency services are Greek and English speaking.

  • Is it possible to rent a property during the winter months?

Yes, it is possible to enter into a rental contract during winter. The rent money will be surprisingly reduced from what you would expect to pay in the summer, however not all rental properties operate over winter. For any suggestions or advice on specific rentals, feel free to contact us.

  • Can I get Broadband connections?

Broadband facilities are now widely available; however some outlying villages may not be connected to the broadband infrastructure yet. Telecommunication companies have extended their reach and there is a good selection of providers to choose from.

  • Are there any cinemas / theatres in Kefalonia?

Kefalonia has two modern air-conditioned theatres, one in the capital Argostoli town and one in Lixouri. Both theatres host plays, live music performances and films screenings. Argostoli also features an open air cinema, operating during the summer months. During summer, several public open-air spaces throughout Kefalonia host cultural events.

  • Can I get regular dental checkups?

Yes, of course. There are many very good English speaking dentists working on the island. There is no need to register with a dentist or doctor, you can just turn up at their surgery. About medical records, the onus is on the patient to keep records as they are not kept by the practitioner.

  • Are life and health insurances available?

There are several English speaking insurance agents in Argostoli and Lixouri, who offer all types of insurance including life and health insurance. The pre-requisites for the insurance are similar to those in the UK, you can choose the level of insurance you require and the premiums payable will reflect the amount covered.